Book I devoured this week!- July Edition!

 
Well, the last one I did on here, people loved this... so I am once again sharing them on here. 
I have read a lot these few days, mostly on my tablet, as that little window into the world is a very good thing I bought myself.. I also managed understand them... mostly.. then there was also the fact that I acquired a couple of new books.. second-hand, but new to my bookshelf if that makes sense! 



Heroes and Marvels of the Middle Ages- Jacques Le Goff. (2020) 
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐





WOW!
I acquired this book from a lecture. I was lucky enough that I was given this book my a lecturer on account of office renovations works and suchlike. As per usual, I forgot how to socialise and I sent an email to ask about ym assignment weeks before the fact, owing to the fact that I was spiralling and overthinking, which honestly is my habit. This book is wonderful. The way it is structured is not at all poncy or hard to read. I was expecting it to be really verbose and impossible to break down, and to be honest, I still worry about whether or not I am capable of understanding some of these types of books due to the verbose language. This book, ironically answered my email.. In far more detail than an email would have allowed anyway. In particular I enjoyed the way that Le Goff tracks the way in which Medieval imagery was translated into the modern day and re-hashed for the current audience of the time.. And because I am a weepy little yearner, of course I really enjoy the Romantics of the 19th Century, despite their obvious faults and inability to understand other points of view in other parts of the world. I can't really forgive the Silk Road Aestheticisation and Fetishisation though of the "Eastern Orient", I just love to unpick it too much. I was reading this for some assignments I had had coming up, but then got bored and just devoured it. 



The Gods of Roman Britain (2003)
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐




Well... It's Graeco-Roman tradition broke down to bite-size chunks, focused on material culture, and the British locations in which they were found and understood.. What's not to like about that one... For one thing, Sulis-Minerva.. Obviously, I was going to jump at this one.. This one here was another acquisition from an academic. I have been down at Trelai Park for much of this semester and owing to this, I had many an intriguing conversation about one of the trenches and potential worshipping of deities and how their embedded religious experience may have shaped their living practices. I am nosy like that, and frankly this book is just well crafted, despite its age, it just holds up. There is so little writing about this aspect of history anyway, particularly in that time period, that really it deserves further study. This though has left a bit of an open channel and now I want to explore it further. 


"The Weaker Vessel" :  Women's lot in C17th England
⭐⭐⭐⭐



Good, tough to read though! 
Honestly, I enjoyed this overall, as much of it is reading though dead peoples' gossip and their stories, which is part of why I love History in the first place, and loving research is often because I am NOSY and want to just FIND OUT. 


Anyways, so that's that for this past week.... 


With My Heart, 

Clare Alexandra

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Springing into Action! 🌸

Surviving “The November Scaries”

Propaganda I'm not falling for! - Ableist edition